Monday, May 12, 2014

Goal Completed!



Oh boy oh boy. I'll spare much of the nitty gritty details but I finished my goal and survived to tell about it! The Tour of the Unknown Coast was Saturday May 10th and the weather gods were not exactly listening. 3 hours of rain to start off the day,  crazy wind, freezing temps...plus the known hurdles, 100 miles and a ton of climbing.
It was certainly an up and down day for me. I had thoughts of hatred, thoughts of total self doubt, crazy insane thoughts wondering what the heck my body was doing, and those same thoughts wondering WHY I was doing this to my body.
And then I would catch a glimpse of a fantastic view, an awe inspiring valley, or another rider going through the same hell and Heaven I was, all in the same minute and it became all worth it. And to think of how few people even get the chance to witness some of the beauty I was given, or have the chance to complete what I did, made me ultimately love the day, (when I finished :-)
What a day.
Three straight hours of rain, just two hours before this? Really? Plenty of sunshine for the famed "Wall", as well as a stiff 25 mph headwind. Fun fun! But look at that ocean!

One TIRED lady here, the day after, but made my relaxing Mother's Day all the better though.
Even though biking is not necessarily a team sport, this event WAS. We couldn't really draft off each other through the rain, unless you wanted a mouth or nose full of dirt and water, but there were more voices of encouragement than I've ever seen on a ride, plenty of drafting help for the sunny but crazy windy section, and that comradery that ONLY comes with an adventure that is dishing out the hurdles endlessly.
The bond you make with someone as you TRY to get that warm cup of coffee in your mouth, but fail due to the uncontrollable shakes, and watch as other people do the same thing, is something I can't describe.

But I succeeded! We all succeeded! I actually saw grown men, studly road biker racers, do a little happy dance complete with kicks and twirls, at the finish line, just so happy to make it :-)
And, my true team member till the end, my wonderful hubby Alex. He made it all possible. Gave me the time every week to train, and ride, and ride some more, (and I needed every minute of that training on this ride!)
I can't say I'm gunning to complete this one every year, but for now I'll coast a bit on the ultimate high of conquering what Saturday through at me. Heaven and Hell all in one moment.

No comments: