Sunday, September 5, 2010

Eating well...



Our summer garden has NOT been our best this year. Despite it's rather mediocre output, we still have plenty of good veggies to feast on...
Take a look at our mini morning harvest session this September 5th, where Forrest was more than happy to help me load the bounty in his wagon, snacking on green beans and cherry tomatoes in between...


I'm in the process of putting in our fall garden which will include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, garlic, swiss chard, bok choi, among many others I'm sure I'm forgetting...
The bed is prepped, now just comes the planting. It is quite a little glut of work, but I know come November when we have fresh veggies, I will be SO glad I put in the effort on these warm late summer days.


Veggies are not our only yummy treats. This year we split a local organically fed pig, and our freezer is now full of pork, ham, bacon, and sausage. It really makes us feel better to be eating locally, and eating meat that doesn't have crazy toxins or horomones.
And of course, fish, fish, and more fish!
Megan with her beauty!
Alex took my sister and a friend out last week and they caught two nice steelhead! And this summer has been great for river salmon, ocean rock fish, halibut, and ling cod. We have been having fish tacos for dinner a lot recently, they are my new favorite. MMM MMMM, add a mango salsa and you might as well think you're in heaven...Forrest is a fan too!

We love our tasty, home grown, locally raised food. Not only does it make your mouth water, but it is so nice to know we are putting nothing but the best into our little boy's tummy.

Now excuse me I've got to go bite into one of those tasty tacos......;-)

1 comment: