Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple love and early Fall walks....just a peek...

One apple tree in particular is loaded with fruit this year. The kids are fans of "sampling" each apple with a few nibbles, then quickly going on to the next so we try to keep them eating only their own. Not that we are short on apples though! Lots of apple sauce coming soon I hope! Little Talin is putting his chompers to good use on the crisp fruit, and doing a great job too! Forrest here is "helping" me pick so he can earn his Go Diego Go show later this evening...he quickly fills the bucket, liking his job.
As the evening hits us, both kids are cranky to say the least. I grab a beer and take a stroll giving the rest of the household time to enjoy a peaceful dinner, at least for awhile.  A meal with the kids is often harried, and I joke it's a workout as I feel I burn my dinner off just getting up and down, getting them milk, different food, feeding Talin, picking up spilled food, dialoguing with them to finish just 2 more bites....I know times to eat in peace can be few and far between in this family. And walk times are often peaceful with the kids, so I take one for the team. Though not really, as a good walk with a beer in hand is actually really nice. The kids do okay in the BOB. Not a double stroller by any means but we recently have been making it one with one of the kids sitting "on the wheel" as Forrest calls it. Doesn't work at all with kids that are fighting as one can easily give the other a good kick pretty easily. Tonight it works okay, and we walk, taking breaks to play in the dirt and rocks, as the fall evening surrounds us. The picture above is false in the look of the leaves behind us. They have not really turned yellow yet, but are still a great green. The lighting has changed though, especially in the evening, more golden, with the maples just starting to take on the fireburst hue. The breeze is warm, and as my walk comes to an end I am thankful for this time of year.
Just a snipit of a good evening with my boys.

3 comments:

Sheelagh said...

I LOVE it! What fun. How nice it is that you can walk out your door and into the wild. And is that a wild apple tree or one you planted? Looks yummy!

Fultmeyer Clan said...

an established apple tree that is who knows how old Sheelagh, planted by a family probably decades ago. It took us moving here, building a fence around it, and having our dogs, etc. to keep the bears off ;-) Otherwise it would belong to them. And yes, I am so thankful for the ability to just walk out my door, wearing whatever I want, drinking whatever I want, and knowing it will all be okay. Not that I go on buck naked walks mind you, but I do appreciate the freedom I have!

Ashley said...

Glad to hear I am not alone in the crazy dinner time routines! Constantly up and down feeding one or keep the other sitting at the table. I have a non eater and a good eater! Riley loves Diego too!