Monday, December 1, 2008

Back to the land of blue

Yep, back to work. "Blue" meaning the OR. Not something beautiful like the blue ocean, blue sky, or the blue of someones eyes. Everything blue in the operating room is sterile, and assisting I am too. I guess it is a calming color for me. It means everything is prepped, ready to go, and puts an action such cutting a person's body in a very controlled environment, or about as controlled as it can be. I think that is why I like it so much. The more I am in surgery, the more I know and the more controlled it is. Never routine, at least not yet, except maybe the very straightforward cases. My boss and teacher in all of this told me early on that surgery is very deliberate. Of course at the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about because it was so new. But now I see what he means. If you are deliberate, but speedy, you are a great surgeon. And being deliberate takes thousands and thousands of hours in the operating room.
I am trying to be deliberate, but doubt it will come some time soon. I actually doubt you can even "Try" to do such a thing. I think it just happens..
So my first day out of the blue Rogue River, (pictures to come later!) and into the blue of my work place was pretty good. Actually included a half day of office which always breaks things up, as you can look into the blue, or brown, or green of your patient's and new aquaintance's eyes and gain perspective....

No comments: