Sunday, October 3, 2010

Feeling the pain...

Or maybe not PAIN per se, but man am I getting my butt kicked. My newly pregnant, super snotted up sicky head, feeling like I suddenly don't have the energy to lift a finger much less care for my crazily energetic kiddo all while continuing to work which normally is an exhausting task in itself.
The nausea this time is intense, or can be. I'll be feeling great one minute and then WHAM, the feeling swoops over me and I quickly try to divert my mind, stay on my feet, and figure out how to quell the monster in my stomach. Is it food? Sometimes. Is it the toilet? Sometimes as well though I've only succumbed twice thus far. Most of the time I just continue doing what I'm doing and pray to the pregnancy gods that yes, this too shall pass. And no cravings though...nothing sounds good though food does often quell the nausea somewhat.
I'm 7-8 weeks along at this time, won't know my dating for sure until that first ultrasound in 2 weeks, and I know I've got a ways to go feeling like crap, to be blunt. I am glad I feel this way in that it helps me know my body is doing what it needs to be doing to create another human life. I've been reviewing a few pregnancy books I have and it is truly SO amazing to think about the organs and organ systems developing inside me at this very moment! For all I know my truly crappy day today could have resulted in my sweet pea #2 having her/his nervous system close, having the fourth chamber of her heart be completed, or by having the 2nd lobe of her liver fully develop! CRAZY!
I'm a bit more worried this time around as well. I have my explanations for this but on a particularly good day last week with only minimal nausea and fatigue I started worrying myself thinking that something had happened, my baby had stopped developing, and this was why I was feeling good all the sudden...
Craziness I know...
Today I made it through a Saturday on call. I made it through a 3 hour OR case, and another case full of stinky pus. I literally gagged in my mask. But I made it. Normally I've got an iron stomach when it comes to these things, but with my pregnant body, suddenly I become vulnerable. Lets hope tomorrow is a bit better.
No one knows yet about our little pea pod #2, though I've come close to telling the surgeon I work with simply out of necessity...you can't have a puking lightheaded assistant and expect good results.
With Forrest my problem was suddenly becoming lightheaded and nearly passing out in the middle of cases, and this didn't happen till the beginning of the 2nd trimester...I'm dreading that one...lots of fluids, lots of sleep...
So for now my secret is safe and my mind tells me to try and roll with the punches for now. I am hopeful I can conceal my lovely secret another few weeks....
wish me luck...:-)
And lets wish for my cold to go away FINALLY. Simply put, snot sucks...

1 comment:

Sheelagh said...

I don't know how you do all of this work while prego. I find it hard to care for my children in the beginning, but they need a lot less than a bleeding and open fleshed human needs while on a table, under your care! WOW! You are amazing!!
I can empathies with the light headedness(super low blood pressure over here) and the wave like nausea. Thank goodness it passes and we get to move on to other pregnancy "symptoms".