Monday, July 1, 2013

What you can get from a 3:50 a.m. wake up call that does not involve a little person....

 ....perhaps, this!!! Two weeks ago Alex and I escaped for a morning down to the coveted Burnt Ranch salmon hole just upriver from us. Alex had been fishing it for a couple of weeks as this is the time the "springers" start to come up river. It had just gotten good, really good, the night before, (Father's day evening,) and it worked out for us to have kiddie care and Voila....I was down fishing again! I haven't fished this spot and caught anything for years...before Forrest was born at the very least. It has a very difficult and humbling spot to be in, nonetheless fish in. The trail is a cliff side scramble straight up and down, and fishing for these glorious, strong, amazing salmon that like to spool your line, jump up feet in the air , and run the rapids is quite an amazing fight. For the morning fishing session you hike down with a head lamp, down a very slick trail, and I just try to not kill myself basically. Alex in all his svelteness seems to just glide down as I find myself on my butt more than a few times. Regardless we make it, wait for dawn to break for it to be light enough to fish, and take in the beauty of this remote river spot that we are lucky enough to have all to ourselves...


The plan was for Alex to hook and land two, (his allowable catch,) and then any more he would hook he would pass the rod to me to land...or TRY to land. So he got his two...and then...we lost one after another. SO difficult. I would fish, and then stop briefly to eat or stretch, and then fish again despite my lack of luck...and skill most likely. Then, I had one on! And I landed it! This beauty above was my fish, a nice 8-9 pounder, and I was so thankful for the thrill of it all. I never got my second that morning, but the one was plenty.
Yes this mama still can fish and catch something more than little human boys once in awhile :-)

No comments: